UCROSS + THE BLANK THEATRE — FUTURE OF PLAYWRITING PRIZE
Applications are now open for the inaugural Ucross + The Blank Theatre — Future of Playwriting Prize!
This award represents a unique collaboration between the prestigious Ucross Foundation in Wyoming, where artists from all disciplines have been supported by residencies since 1983, and The Blank Theatre in Hollywood, which has been developing new plays and new artists since 1990.
The Future of Playwriting Prize will be given annually to an early-career playwright who personifies the future of theatre — someone whose voice will shape theatre for decades to come, and who will bring new thoughts and views to the American theatrical conversation.
The winner will be awarded a $5,000 cash prize and an all-expenses-paid, two-week residency at Ucross’s ranch at the foothills of the Bighorn Mountains. The residency includes transportation, accommodations, meals, and the opportunity to commune with other visiting artists. The winner will also receive a professionally produced staged reading in The Blank Theatre’s Living Room Series new play development program.
Two additional finalists will each be awarded a $500 cash prize.
- Inclusion and diversity are vital to the future of theatre; therefore, playwrights from all backgrounds and genders are urged to apply.
- We encourage application by playwrights who may not have had access to advanced or graduate writing programs.
- As this is an emerging playwright award, writers who have had Off-Broadway, Broadway, or major regional theatre productions will not be considered.
- Since the focus is on American theatre, playwrights must reside in the United States.
- Winning writers must be between 21 and 30 years of age as of April 1, 2021.
- Submissions are open now, and the deadline for applications is December 21, 2020.
- There is no entry fee.
- Writers must submit:
- Resume including creative/educational background.
- A personal artistic statement that describes (A) Who you are and what has brought you to this place - your influences and life experiences. Also, what you hope to gain personally from an uninterrupted two-week residency at Ucross. (B) The concept for a new play (a full-length you have not yet initiated) that you would like to begin or work on while you are there - what themes, characters or stories do you want to explore? (C) How do you see the future of theatre, and what is your role as a playwright in it? Your artistic statement should be 1000 words or less. PDF form only, titled FirstName_LastName_STATEMENT
- One short play of ANY length not to exceed 45 pages. Please submit only a complete short play, not a sample from a full length play. PDF form only, titled FirstName_LastName_SHORT (e.g., Sally_Jones_SHORT).
- One full-length play (60 to 120 pages). PDF form only, titled FirstName_LastName_FULL ( e.g., Sally_Jones_FULL).
- One submission only per playwright. Please do not submit multiple applications to include different scripts. We want to see what you consider your best work.
- Plays and other submission materials must be written in English.
- Translations, musicals, adaptations, and children's plays will not be considered.
- All scripts must be typed in standard playwriting format.
- Page numbers must appear with the first page of dialogue as page 1.
- Scripts must contain a character breakdown and time/place setting.
- The first 300 submissions will be considered. If 300 valid submissions are received before the end of the application period, additional entries may not be accepted, and notice will be posted at TheBlank.com.
- A jury of professional theatre artists will select one grand prize winner and two finalists, to be announced April 2021.