The Young Playwrights Festival will celebrate its 28th Anniversary in June 2020! Every June we present the Annual Nationwide Young Playwrights Festival for playwrights ages 9 to 19. Submissions are accepted from January to March 15 and the 12 winning plays are produced and presented each weekend in June. Our 28th Annual YPF will open in June 2020 at the LA City College Theatre Academy!
In late summer 2020 we will accept submissions for the 29th season of our Living Room Series, a New Play Development program which embodies The Blank’s commitment to developing new work by both established and emerging writers. The Living Room Series takes place on Monday evenings at the 2nd Stage Theatre in Hollywood between Labor Day and Memorial Day. The Living Room Series offers a week-long process for the playwright, director and actors to explore the play by putting it up on its feet in a limited rehearsal period and then presenting it to an audience. The performances are minimally staged, with actors carrying scripts, and are a wonderful opportunity for the playwright to get a sense of the play’s full potential. Submissions by women, playwrights of color, and other under-represented voices are strongly encouraged. The Blank is firmly committed to supporting gender parity and diversity.
The Blank Theatre Young Playwrights Festival is a 28-year-old nationwide playwrighting competition for writers ages 9 to 19. Beginning in 2020, YPF will partner with the LA City College Theatre Academy to present YPF on their campus and in their facility!
The 12 best plays are chosen by a panel of theatre professional from submissions across America. No other national competition awards young playwrights with seeing their vision come to life on stage in a professional production.
Winning playwrights are provided careful mentoring and direction from industry professionals to help prepare their work for public performance and hone their skills, talent and confidence.
- DEADLINE: Submissions must be postmarked or submitted by March 15, 2020.
- FEES: There are NO fees for submitting your play(s).
- ELIGIBILITY: Playwrights must be 19 years old or younger on March 15, 2020; co-written plays are allowed, provided all writers meet age requirement. If submitting online each playwright MUST submit a copy of their play with their own contact information.
- CONTENT: Original plays and musicals on ANY subject and of ANY length.
- LIMIT: Up to 3 plays per playwright or playwright team. PLEASE SUBMIT EACH PLAY SEPARATELY.
- FORMAT: All script pages must be numbered and must be in Word or PDF format.
- COVER SHEET: Online submissions should include a cover sheet with: Title, Playwright Name, Playwright Date of Birth, Age, School Name, E-Mail Address, Contact Phone Number, Mailing Address.
- NOTIFICATION: We will contact Festival Competition winners in April 2020.
- PERFORMANCE: Winning plays will be performed in the Festival in Los Angeles in June 2020.